Hindsight is a great thing isn’t it? If I knew what I know now back when I was 17, I think my life would be extremely different. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m a firm believer in everything happens for a reason so I don’t have regrets.. simply “what if’s” 😛
- Stop worrying about everything.. seriously stop! Everything will work itself out, you’ll have a lot more worries when you’re older, stressful worries might I add so just relax and enjoy being carefree! (You’ll need to take this advice at 25 as well ha).
- Put yourself first.. nobody else is going to put you first so it’s time you learned to make yourself a priority. You’re going to spend years putting other people’s needs before your own for absolutely nothing in return. Learn how to say no, people will respect you for it.
- Do the degree you want to do.. when the time comes to pick your degree pick the one you want! You’re going to pick a course for the sake of it because you’re unsure. Don’t pick the safe option because you’re afraid to move to Dublin or Limerick. I know you don’t know what you want to do while you’re only 17 but embrace the fear and move away to become the teacher you wanted to be.. even though you hate Irish haha.
- Go on the J1.. and just travel more in general. You’ll regret it! Pack your bags and move away for the summer, there will always be a job here when you come back. You’ll regret not doing it once you’ve started your career.
- Your mom can spot your fake friends, listen to her.. seriously, your mom is on the ball when it comes to people. She’ll tell you who your genuine friends are and who not to trust. As annoying as it is right now, trust her judgement, she’s right. You’ll meet some of your best friends when you’re 23, you’ll know them when they come along ❤
- Don’t quit sprinting.. you can eat like an obese man and be a size 6 right now! Don’t give it up! Yes, it takes up a lot of your time but you’re going to try to take up running again numerous times in the future but you’ve lost your speed and you keep quitting so just keep it up, even as a hobby if not to compete. Think of the future guilt you’ll feel every time you eat anything remotely nice ha.
- Wear sunscreen.. and stop doing sunbeds.. I’ve one word for you, wrinkles! GET OUT OF THE SUNBED! Bottled tan looks the exact same on you and will save you a fortune and save your skin! Also, start wearing sunscreen everyday, your skin will thank you for it when you’re older.
- Break up with him, you’ll get over it.. It may seem like your world will come tumbling down if you end it but trust me you get over it! And you find something 100 times better 🙂 So stop wasting precious years of your life and enjoy yourself. You’ll find your lobster just before you turn 21 😉
- Take more naps.. this is my main piece of advice really 😛 When you hit your mid-twenties you’re going to be exhausted (and hungry) all of the time! So yes, take the naps. Take all of the naps (and have all of the snacks)! Sleep in! Nap on the beanbags in UCC (nobody will judge you, trust me on this one)! Go to bed early! Take afternoon naps, take morning naps… I want a nap right now ha!
- Don’t take your college years for granted.. once you graduate you’re going to wish you were back in college. Your time is your own and you have more free time than you need so enjoy it! You’re not going to have enough hours in the day in a few years time so enjoy every moment of free time you have now.
- Stop dying your hair.. you’re going to die your hair at least 7000 times and you’re going to lose it’s length and thickness. You’ll regret it. Leave your natural hair colour alone, it suits you! Also, while I’m at it, don’t cut chopped layers into your hair, you’re literally never going to be able to get rid of them 😦
- Stop caring about what people think of you.. you’re going to struggle with this until you’re 24. But you’ll eventually realize that what other people think of you is none of your business. Let them talk about you, who cares? They’re the ones who are little minded if they spend all of their time bitching and gossiping because they can’t hold an intellectual conversation, you’re bigger than that. Just do you boo, people will love you for it 🙂
- Go out more.. and take this advice when your 25 as well! Go out every single Thursday night! Enjoy your early 20’s you’re not 80 year’s old. You’ll have plenty of pajama nights when you’re older. Just do me a favour, stay away from Jager Bombs, they’re not your friend.
- Save.. stop spending your money on unnecessary things! If you’re going to spend your money then use it to travel and to make memories. You don’t need a weekly shopping spree. Save what you can to take the pressure off when you’re older.
- Don’t rush to grow up.. you’re always thinking of the future. Stop it. Learn to live in the moment and stop trying to plan every step of your life, it will work out in the end. Stop taking life so serious and enjoy the little things.
- Get the braces!.. The dentist will tell you to “hold off” that when you’re wisdom teeth come down it will push your gap together and close your teeth. He lied. You had to get your wisdom teeth removed and now you’re stuck with the gap. So get the braces because you don’t want to be contemplating train tracks at 25.
- Look after your health.. you’re going to be in and out of hospital a few times with health issues. Apparently, they are stress related. So do yourself a favour and look after yourself. Learn to take a step back when you’re feeling run down. Also, improve your diet! It will play a big factor in your future.
- Ask for what you want.. yes I know you’re afraid of asking for what you want or for what you deserve but the worst that can happen is that they say no. You’ll learn how to do this eventually and you become quite good at it but you’ll have some missed opportunities if you don’t start asking now.
- Stop letting other people tell you what’s best for you.. everyone in your life is going to give you their opinion on your choices, whether it’s about college, career changes, boys, friends or your weight.. the list goes on. Listen to their opinions but only listen. Trust your gut. At the end of the day only you know what’s best for you.
- You still won’t know what you’re doing when you’re 25.. seriously, you won’t have a clue. You’re making big life changing decisions and questioning everything but you’re happy. What’s meant to be will be ❤
I wonder how different my life would be if I had this advice when I was 17. However, I do truly believe that what’s meant for you won’t pass you and if it’s meant to be it’s meant to be.
Until next time,